After moving from NH to the Tampa Bay area of FL in 2014, Dr. Fernald wanted to open a school which sought to offer therapeutic intervention like speech and occupational therapy while individualizing an educational curriculum for each student. She successfully opened a local school, which has since shifted its philosophy and mission from its original focus. So, following the success of a few summer programs with Mrs. Emily Moniz, Dr. Fernald was approached by Lili Bernhardt, a colleague who specializes in working with children who have sensory processing disorders and are Autistic. Together, Dr. Fernald, Mrs. Moniz and Ms. Bernhardt moved forward with making the dream of a DIRFloortime educational center come to fruition.
Mission & Vision
- REC is a 501(c)3 organization, allowing for tax deductible donations
- Provide students with special needs therapeutic and academic support while regulating emotions and supporting individual differences by building relationships
- Private school for children in kindergarten through 12th grade; Mostly follow the Pasco County school calendar; 9 AM – 2 PM Monday through Friday
- Students may have specific diagnoses such as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Anxiety Disorders, Speech-Language Disorders, Sensory Processing Disorders, or Learning Disabilities among other differences that may yet to be diagnosed
- Offer individualized therapeutic intervention in an academic environment